Welcome to Lower School
Hello, we are Miss Henley, Mr Ruffett, Mrs Hall and Mrs Lloyd and together teach Years 3 and 4 in three mixed age classes. We all enjoy working in a small school which has a specialist focus on the junior ages.
As a team we have a dual role. The first is to make the transition from Year 2 at Littlehaven to Year 3 at Northolmes as smooth and straightforward as possible for our younger pupils. Secondly, we focus on preparing our Year 4’s for the transition to Upper School. Lower School is an exciting place to be and our Learning Journeys aim to engage all the children. We are always amazed by the talents of the children and how much they blossom and grow during their time with us.
Homework in Years 3 and 4
- This year KS2 homework will consist of a homework grid.
- We encourage children to log on to the rock stars Times Table regularly using their log on https://ttrockstars.com/login
- Every other Wednesday children will have a times table test to move up on the class ladder.
- Children are encouraged to complete an extra homework task from the homework grid, this covers many different subjects throughout the term.
- Every week we will look at the Reading Diary by adults in the class, but the diary needs to be in school everyday. A record of what the children have read needs to be added to the diary daily. We ask that every child reads for at least 10minutes every day.
Should you have any concerns about homework please speak to your child’s teacher.
In lower school we have a big focus on reading and sharing our own love of books. At home, sharing books and listening to your child read is so important. We have pledged to you that we, their teachers, will read for 10minutes every day to them and listen to your child read either once or twice weekly. You can see the attach book cycle, of the books we will share this year. It really is an essential part of their development and you play a vital role in nurturing their love of reading. All children can share books from the Doorway Challenge, either by listening to the stories or by reading them independently, they are available at school to take home and share. The children receive a Golden Ticket when they read a Doorway Challenge book.
PE takes place twice a week, we learn one activity for 6 consecutive lessons, then rotate onto a different activity. Please see below for when your child will be having PE. We are currently asking all children to come to school in their PE uniform on their PE days:
Whenever possible, we will be outside teaching the children. A focus for us this year, will be on Outdoor Education and therefore we would like the children to ideally have a spare pair of wellies or shoes in school. These shoes should be in a named bag and left in the classroom. We ask that every child has a coat with them everyday, as we plan to be outside whatever the weather.
Find Out More
Find Out More
Find Out More